The creative journey of an artist inspired by animals and life by the sea

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Making Customers Happy

I met up with a customer to deliver a long awaited commission of her cats as a Christmas surprise for her husband. I always have a little anxiety when showing finished paintings. I worry if it really captures the spirit and vision of the animal that the person has in their mind. Many artists refuse to do commissions for this very reason. There is always a chance that when you reveal the painting after all your hard work, they may not be happy with the results. It has to produce that instant recognition of what they remember as their cherished pet. For me as an artist, there is nothing like that first rush of emotion I see in their eyes when I show them the painting. It is such a feeling of accomplishment, and all the anxiety vanishes when I see the tears in their eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post and beautiful painting. :) How could they not love it? But I know what you mean, that mix of feelings, anxiety and excitement. It's both the best and the worst part of commissions. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete