The creative journey of an artist inspired by animals and life by the sea

Monday, March 23, 2009

Letting go


I am often torn when the time comes to sell a painting or drawing I am really pleased with.  Such is the case with this drawing I did many years ago.  I have never wanted to sell it and at one time it belonged to my father.  Perhaps, that is why I feel the need to keep it.  Maybe I am afraid I may never create something like it again or lose the memories it holds for me.

Today, I took it down to the Co-op gallery I just joined called the Carolina Artist Studio Gallery and hung it on my display wall.  It now hangs with other paintings I have for sale.  In order to grow as an artist...I need to let go. 

1 comment:

  1. It is very hard to let go of things which have memories attached to them. When we sold my mother's home, we agreed to loan the new owners a painting of my father and some furniture that he made. They turned the place into a bed and breakfast. I thought not having those things in our possession would bother me, but it turns out that having them on display where they are really appreciated has been okay.

    ReplyDelete